With summer around the corner the folks here at Hometown Comfort want to offer our valued clients insight on how to keep your air conditioning system working in tip top shape this year. Keeping your AC system operating effectively and efficiently has its many benefits. Not only will it provide you with comfortable temperatures and atmospheres in your home, but it will also contribute to lower energy bills as well.
There are five primary tasks involved with keeping your AC system operating properly, each of which contributes to the effectiveness and efficiency of your system. The five important tips we have to offer, include:
- Checking your air filters routinely – This is by far the easiest and yet the most important task to perform to keep your AC system in tip top shape. Changing your air filters routinely will prevent dirt buildup which ultimately restricts the airflow to your system. If airflow is reduced less cool air will flow through your vents. In addition, reduced airflow into your AC system can cause your evaporator coils to freeze. When the coils freeze the amount of cold air flowing through your vents is minimized. With that said, don’t wait until your air filter is so dirty and clogged to take action, but rather get in the habit of changing your filters every 1-2 months.
- Take proper care of your outdoor condenser unit – Be certain that the area around your outdoor unit is free of debris and clutter and that it is uncovered in order to allow your air conditioning system to run properly. The outdoor condenser pulls all of the hot air in your home, and delivers it outside. However, if it is dirty or surrounded by plants, debris or other items the heat is not able to escape as freely and quickly. When this occurs, your system has to run much longer and harder in order to keep your home cool resulting in higher energy bills.
- Be certain your ductwork is sealed – Most homes suffer from duct leakage. Leaky ductwork forces your AC to work much harder and ultimately results in wasted monies. Since duct sealing can be somewhat complex, we highly recommend you call our professionals to seal your ducts. The process typically requires us to use a sealant or metal tape to cover leaks and holes, add insulation around all the ducts, and then refit or reseal any ducts that are poorly connected. Once you have invested in duct sealing, your AC will be more energy efficient and your home will be much more comfortable.
- Give focus to needed repairs – It is quite easy to ignore indications that your AC may need repair. Though it may be tempting to do so, recognize that your lack of focus to needed repairs is apt to cost you a whole lot more money over time. So, if you hear any unusual sounds, or detect unusual smells coming from your ventilation system, then don’t delay, but rather contact our certified technicians right away. We will inspect the system, identify problems and provide effective solutions. Keep in mind that small problems that are left unattended to eventually turn into much bigger problems that not only cost more but can contribute to a breakdown or a reduced lifespan of your system.
- Be sure to schedule routine AC maintenance – Annual maintenance of your air conditioning system is essential to the proper functionality of your system. Routine maintenance increases the efficiency of your AC, prevents breakdowns, and definitely helps to lower your energy bills. The professionals here at Hometown Comfort recommend you get your AC tune-up and inspection in the spring time before the hot summer months arrive and your AC needs to kick into full gear.
Summer is right around the corner, which means it’s time to schedule your AC routine maintenance. Whether you are in need of simple maintenance for your air conditioning system, duct repair, or need help choosing the right air filters, we are the team for you. Simply give a call out to us today. We look forward to providing you with all your AC system products and services year after year.