HVAC System Noises To Listen For
Most of the time you shrug off the minor noises you hear or file them as ambient noise. You should have your system checked when you hear any noises that are out of the ordinary, there are a few that should be alarming enough to put in a call to your HVAC technician as soon as possible.
We wanted you to be aware of some of these:
- Clicking: Some clicking can be normal when your HVAC starts or shuts down, but if the clicking is ongoing, it could be a sign that you have a defective thermostat or other electrical issues in the home.
- Banging: Banging can be a sign that there’s a loose or broken part. This can damage other components or create an imbalance in your indoor blower.
- Chirping: Often a sign of a bird nearby…just checking to see if you are paying attention to these.
- Grinding: Grinding noises are most often caused by a faulty condenser unit. It can also be a bad bearing or a fan blade rubbing against something.
- Squeaks & Squeals: These could be a sign of a leak in your ductwork or a bad fan or blower motor. Another problem could be a worn belt or one in need of lubrication. It could also be a more simple problem such as the blower wheel and housing malfunctioning.
- Buzzing: Buzzing noises is often a signal of a number of problems, such as debris in the outdoor unit, a failing fan motor, a blower going bad and even refrigerant leaks.
- A Hum: If your unit has continuous hum sound like an electrical hum, it is time to call a tech.
- Rattles: Rattling noises can be a loose fan part, debris caught in your outdoor unit or a serious sign of air conditioner deterioration.
Noticing any unusual AC noises in your home? Contact us at
Hometown Comfort TN Heating & Cooling
Where Honesty, Integrity and Happy Customers Rank First
Serving Spring Hill, Thompson’s Station
Brentwood, Franklin & Columbia
And some surrounding areas